Tuesday 22 December 2015

Plants for bees - Pineapple Sage

I've been making a lot of manuka seedlings and cuttings and trees lately, for the beebiz. But when the manuka is not flowering, the bees need food still. So I think that pineapple sage and rosemary might fill the gap. Pineapple sage in particular seems to flower for months on end, from about autumn till spring, so perfect to fill the gap. And it is super easy to propagate from cuttings. And grows like crazy.

Here are some cuttings that I made in autumn, that I have just potted up into bigger pots, as the space for them to be planted is not ready yet.


And here is one of the same batch of cuttings, that I have planted along side my retaining wall a few months ago. So, by putting it in the ground, it is about 5 times as big as the ones that remained in pots. And will keep growing to be about 1 to 1 1/2 metres high I expect.


You can cut these back quite vigorously when they start to get in the way, they seem quite indestructible. The original plant that all these have come from was given to me by a work friend probably 25 years ago. And it has been dug up, moved around, bulldozed, neglected. As long as I just keep a bit of the roots, off it goes again. And, as if all that is not enough, its a herb, of the sage family, with a pineapply flavour (obviously!). Although I haven't actually found a good use for a pineapply herb. But should you require that, this is your plant. It does smell lovely to brush against.

No comments:

Post a Comment