Wednesday 4 March 2015

What to do with all the dirt?

So where is all this huge hole going to go?  The boys are digging through clay, a bit of top soil, and gravel from under a 100 year old path.  They need to pick axe it to loosen it, spade it away then load it into a wheel barrow.  I toyed with the idea at one stage of putting it into the bottom of planters, but have decided that in the long run, that would not produce happy plants. 
 
So then they push it up the ramp to the street level and dump it in a rubbish skip.
 
 
 
So we (me in supervision mode) have done 4 skips worth.  I tried a bit, was on wheelbarrow filling duty, but only managed a few spoonfuls to their complete barrow load.  I do, as a result though, have full appreciation for the impossibly hardness of the task - seems like super human effort in only 2 weeks to me.
 
Below is The Clay Mountain.  This is the next pile of clay to go, also to be barrowed up the ramp.  Looks like enough clay to build an entire subdivision.  Looks quite tiny in the photo though, will have to get my cat to pose next to it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment