Thursday 14 May 2015

A Weekend of Hard Work

My lovely lovely neighbours on the uphill side, behind the retaining wall, offered to fund 3 students for an afternoon, plus a truck load of top soil.  What an amazing offer!  So I said "nah, it'll be right".  Hah, not likely, it was "wow yes please".

They dug clay (surprise), moved rocks (surprise), flattened out the backyard, and then spread 3 bags of lime - the white stuff.  This is supposed to break down the clay.  Earlier I tried out an experiment to see if it really worked, but couldn't tell, so will have to take it on trust that is as marvelous as advertised.


Then...the top soil.  A truck load is a fair amount, all sitting neatly up on the grass verge.  The students ran out of time, but I started on it on Sunday.  I've managed to spread a thin layer over most of the lime - I'm not quite sure how lime will go on cat's feet, and tongues.  So my plan is to spend my lunchtimes doing 10 wheelbarrow loads a day.  Should get there in the end.  Doesn't it look just so good now though?


No comments:

Post a Comment