Friday 29 May 2015

More Cuttings for Trees for Bees

Its really the end of the season for making cuttings, as it is getting quite cold now (for here, so not really cold at all), but a couple of plants will strike from cuttings all year round - or so my trusty book says.  So I have tried some Griselinia Littoralis - the big leafed green ones, these were the hedge-du-jour for a few years and I thought they would fill in some of my gaps on the boundary, and maybe even make a small hedge along my back border.  I pinched these cuttings from my lovely neighbours, who have recently planted a few plants, although a walk around the neighbourhood would find plenty of others hanging over the footpaths.
 
Then the little roundy leafed ones are from a couple of little azaleas that I have had in my front yard for 20 years, and I have not managed to kill them yet, so they deserve a go.  Might be too cold for them to strike though, we'll see.  Not bee plants, but pretty.
 
And trust rosemary, also might be too late, but I needed to trim it anyway. This is a prostate form, and I'm hoping it will go beside my retaining wall and dangle over the board that I am going to put up to hold all the dirt in.
 
 
And then I noticed one of the council street plantings just outside my place had a big bushy coprosma, so I pinched some of that too.  These should work I think.  Or they would, except after I took this pic one of the cats saw this and thought it was an excellent dirt box - dirt and cuttings all over the deck.  I've since moved them into the box beside the rosemary, but I'm not sure if any fatal damage has been done, time will tell.  Plenty more where this came from though, the street bush is huge, so I think it will make an excellent gap filler.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment