Sunday 14 June 2015

Mail Order NZ native plants

You can buy anything online these days! This is my first time buying plants, but it worked out really well. So I ordered 35 plants, 23 hebes all the same - Wiri Image, which is a purple flower and medium size, so about 1m high I think. And 12 pratia angulata, which is a NZ native ground cover, with little white flowers. And 35 seems a magic number because you can have 5x7 fitting neatly in a box.


The hebes are going to make a low hedge around the back and front of the Harmony Garden, and the pratia are in between. If they don't spread very fast I'll have a go at propagating them, which is by division. Or so the book says, we shall see.


I've put them quite close, but it looks miles apart because they are little plants. Its always a balance, how far apart to plant when they are new, and how to allow for the end size. And I always seem to err on the 'jam them in close to each other' end of the spectrum. Still, a hedge is meant to be close, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment