Friday 26 June 2015

Plants for Shade

This little strip of garden is between the new (envisaged) paving and the back of the house. Because we have had to cut a bit lower than the existing ground level just here to keep the paving mostly level, I need to make this into a small planter to protect the house foundations. 


So...a planting opportunity! This is quite a tricky area as it gets absolutely no sun for 3 or 4 months over winter. But in summer it bakes in the later afternoon sun. I have tried growing things here off and on over the years, but not with much success, so what to plant?

Well, I thought I would try with something fairly hardy like lemon balm, which the bees will love too. Mint always works. I would love to grow bergamot, but I've tried before with little success. Fuscias would work I think, and they do survive for me. Fuscias would also be good along the big retaining wall. Other things that work in shade, which I might keep up my sleeve as Plan B are nasturtium which grows as a weed for me, leafy greens, and pansies.

No comments:

Post a Comment