Monday 29 June 2015

Peastraw Bales - Gardener's Gold

So, in Rumpelstiltskin, the miller boasts that his daughter can spin straw into gold. Well, no need to here - the straw IS the gold. This is a trailer load of peastraw bales, just magic for a garden, and especially magic for one with a thick layer of clay spread all over. The straw will help with breaking down the clay, improve drainage, and add nitrogen to the soil. Might also produce a crop of peas next year, who knows!?


We managed to get all these bales down the back without a ramp or stairs, by tossing them over the neighbour's fence. They are quite sturdy, you can see how people make strawbale houses.


I spaced them out a bit round the section. I had calculated that they would cover the ground by about 60mm thick, but wasn't entirely sure I was measuring the right thing. Its looking about right though.  Then I couldn't resist, and had to open a few bales and spread them out. I do need to keep them away from the builders' works though, I thought that straw in your wheel barrow path could be annoying. Or maybe just the thing to keep the sticky clay down? But anyway, I refrained, so I've got at least half still to break open and spread. 


They are very easy and satisfying to spread - you cut the binding and they just flake off in chunks from the small end - very simple to manage. It was quite windy today and I thought they might blow all over the show, but it all seems to be in place still.

Strawbales are pretty hard to find in Auckland, especially at this excellent price. I found these marvellous people at the Clevedon markets, and now they have a website Peastraw

No comments:

Post a Comment